Sunday, July 26, 2009

My Burden is Light

Bow yokes on a bullock team

Image via Wikipedia

"Come to Me, all of you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. All of you, take up My yoke and learn from Me, because I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for yourselves. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."Matt 11:28-30 (HCSB)

He said, "Why is following Christ so hard?"   I had to agree with him at the time, but God has been showing me a different way of late.  If your walk with the Lord is difficult then something is missing in light of this verse above.  So what is missing?

Think about a yoke for a second.  What is a yoke for?  It is used on some beast of burden (Horse, Ox, etc) to pull a heavy load (cart, plow, wagon, etc).  Sometimes these are single and sometimes as a team.  The yoke purpose is to harness the power of the animal to accomplish the task of the one leading the animal. 

There are many yokes that we can burden ourselves with in this life.  Debt, work, bosses, partners in business, family members, sickness, rebellion,  and fear are a few among many burdens that we yoke ourselves with.  These burdens become our master of sorts as we try to pull them along.  In some ways they are cumulative.  Each adding to the stress of our life. 

I cannot recall my feelings when I was saved whether I felt lighter or not, but I have had others who  have come to Christ tell me that it was "like a burden lifted away."  So then what happens? 

It is my firm belief that we take these burdens back on.  However, that is not the biggest issue.  The biggest problem is that we are not willing to take on the yoke of Christ.  The beast of burden must submit his will to accomplish the work of the person leading.  As Christians we have to submit our will to the plan an purpose of Christ if we are to take on His yoke. 

The choice is simple when we realize that self-will leads to being burdened by the worries of the world and this life, and submission (taking on the yoke of Christ) leads to rest.  God will call you to work, but He will give you what you need to accomplish His work, His yoke will be easy and His burden will be light.  It just takes willingness.   A willing heart will move the difficult walk to a blessed walk every time. 

No comments: