Thursday, July 9, 2009

Thankful for VBS

2008-VBS-Wednesday-452

I remember the very place that I received Christ as my Lord and Savior.  I had just finished the third grade and one of the neighbor kids invited me to Vacation Bible School.  we sang songs, played games, did crafts, and heard stories.  I remember the feeling of love and peace in that place.  Even now as I am thinking about it I can feel those feelings again.  It was a very special time.  I remember when someone asked if anyone wanted to learn more about going to heaven.  I of course thought it sounded great.  Who would not want to go!  Right?  Sad to say there are some that are more concerned about this life than then next that they miss the opportunities to receive Jesus as their Lord and Savior.

Where I was saved

Then a girl took me up the stairs (I think she must have been a youth).  She presented the Gospel to me and at the end asked If I wanted to receive Jesus Christ so that I could go to heaven with God when I died.  I said "yes."   We prayed and I was reborn on that day.  I thank God for that ministry of Vacation Bible School.  I thank God for the vision of that early (Southwest Hills) church meeting in a house (pictured above) and now meeting here.  How different my life might have turned out if I never had that opportunity.  I thank God for divine appointments.  They are those life changing moments in which God supernaturally steps into your world and radically changes your life.  It starts with a commitment to Him.

I wish I knew who that girl was so I could thank her for giving her time that summer to watch over a bunch of loud obnoxious kids, but more importantly to watch over and care for their young souls.  If you work in VBS I thank you from the bottom of my heart.  And so does every other kid whose life you touch.  That was nearly thirty years ago (for me) but they thank you just the same. 

You have not participated in VBS?  Take some time to have an eternal impact on the souls of the children that live in your neighborhood.  You will not be disappointed (even if it takes 30 years to say thank you; or maybe in heaven;-)

Father I thank you for all the VBS workers.  It is a perfect picture of the Body of Christ working together for the Kingdom of God.  In Jesus Name AMEN

Click here to learn more about salvation (accepting Christ). 

No comments: