Monday, August 24, 2009

A Mindful Weekend

I did not post over the weekend because it was very busy.  I spent it with my family and we had a lot of fun.  But it also was a chance for me to slow down a bit and take in life.  I started with the drive. 

Most people believe that Washington State is filled with trees and is all green.  This is not true for the eastern side of the state.   In fact it is mostly sagebrush and cheat grass for miles and miles.  There is some green by the rivers and in lands that have irrigation.  But without a source of water it is very yellow. 

 

 

As I was driving I was trying to take it in.  I have traveled this trek before and decided in the past that it was quite tedious.  I wanted to be more mindful in thought as I drove.  I saw it!  The Common Sunflower, P9170041.JPG Image by Anita363 via Flickrbeauty of the drive.  There were wild flowers here and there along the waySagebrush, from Eastern Washington.  One of the most stunning sights was several patches of sunflowers that were in the median of the Highway.  Like splashes of sun along the dead yellow grass.  It was quite stunning even at 70 MPH.  I also noted the many rock outcrops that are scattered along the way.  They call it the "scablands" of Washington.  Such an unflattering name.  They were not scablands for me on that day.  It was a beautiful drive and I praised God for his creation along the way.  I am not sure that anyone noticed, but that is OK it was my private moment with God. 

When we arrived we shuttled the kids into the Silverwood Theme Park.  We spent much of the first part of the day in the water park and the later part on the the rides.  The lazy river of Boulder Beach Image via WikipediaI took an attitude of acceptance and awareness through the experience.  I must admit that there were a couple of moments where what I wanted did not match up with what was happening or needed at the moment (unmindfulness brings up feelings of irritability for me).  However the Spirit of God reminded me of the importance of receiving the day as itFarris Wheel Image by merfam via Flickr came to me rather than being frustrated with what I wanted.  Noticing this I turned my mind to enjoy what I had rather than to focus on what I did not.  I spent time with my children and that was what was important.  In fact at one point my wife asked if I wanted to go on the rollercoaster's (long lines kept me from riding them on this trip).  The great thing was that I was content to ride the Farris Wheel with my five year old son, because he wanted to.  I am so glad I did (even the 45 minute wait did not seem all that bad).  To be there with my kids and enjoy their enjoyment.  It was quite a special experience. 

On the way home while it was dark I thought of how lucky I was to have a loving wife and four beautiful kids.  A few moments of shut eye, quiet conversation with my wife, and holding her hand was the perfect end to the day.  I did not even mind the tired fussiness that interrupted this moment.  In a way it was a special reminder of the energy we had spent at having fun.  It also gave me a chance to reflect on how lucky my kids are to have their mother as she climbed into the back to comfort a tired soul. 

Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it. Prov 22:6 (NASB)

Thank You Lord for the wonderful day.  I praise you for the Glory and for the special moments with my kids.  In Jesus Name Amen

It was a mindful day ;-)

No comments: