Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Fancy Flights

Brooklyn Eagle Image by gaspi *your guide via FlickrUnreservedly giving yourself to God involves being committed to do it today.  Often I hear Christians (at times myself) telling me what they are planning to do someday for God.  The fancy flights are not any more mindful than worrying about the future.  Even though they make have a feeling of good will, they do not accomplish much based on my observations.

In a way fancy flights are boasting before the actual act has occurred.  We say I will go do such and such for God.  One of the difficulties is that we do not know what tomorrow holds.  Our hearts go out to the family that just lost a young daughter this week.  Their loss has affected our family.  Life is like that.  Three weeks ago we had no connection to the family and now we are grieving with them as they wrestle with this loss.  It reminds me though about how uncertain we can be about the future. 

Another problem with fancy flights is that tomorrow never comes.  It is always a perpetual tomorrow.  It is a little different than procrastination.  Procrastination is putting off something that you don't want to do.  Fancy flights are planning to do something that you want to do, but never taking that first step or following through.  I still struggle with this myself, but by God's grace I am getting better.  Trust me I still have much room to grow in this respect.  those that know me well will testify to this. 

The cure of fancy flights (verses)

  1. Daily prayer (Matthew 6:11)
  2. Discern what God is doing today (Matthew 16:23; Luke 19:5)
  3. Do not harden yourself with sin today (Hebrews 3:12-13)
  4. Encourage another person today (Hebrews 3:12-13)
  5. Plan your tomorrows with speculation (not certainty) in light of God's will, and do good while it is today (James 4:13-17)

God bless you all!

No comments: