Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Anger

He (God) did not have regard for Cain and his offering. Cain was furious, and he looked despondent. Then the Lord said to Cain, "Why are you furious? And why do you look despondent? If you do what is right, won't you be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at the door. Its desire is for you, but you must rule over it." Cain said to his brother Abel, "Let's go out to the field." And while they were in the field, Cain attacked his brother Abel and killed him.
Genesis 4:5-8 (HCSB)

And so anger has plagued the human race ever since.  It happened to me just the other night.  I came home from work and went to put the dog's in and saw that the pool cover was at the bottom of the pool.  So I fished the cover out getting wet in the process.  I noted that burn beginning to build.  I fought through it.  I then attempted to put the cover on as I moved around the pool I felt the fence snag the back of my shirt.  I could not see it but I was sure that my shirt was ruined.  Then I stepped into a puddle of water and my foot sank in soaking my sock.  Ugh!!!  As if that was not enough the liner began to sink.  "This will never do!" I muttered to myself.  I thought, "Why did they not tie the cover to keep it secure."  Having no idea who "they" was.  For all I knew it could have been any of the kids.  It is a minor feat for me to get the cover on for them it would have taken a lot.  I did not think of that at the time.  It was their fault and I was angry.  I walked in to the house very upset at this point and called up the stairs (yelled my wife later informed me), "I need someone to come help me with pool cover."  I did not use any hurtful words, but my wife said my tone of voice was bad enough.  My son helped me get the pool cover on.  All was well or so I thought.  You see my anger had already set fire to the evening.  Too late it was ablaze.  Within the first five minutes I created an evening of discontent and discomfort.  Anger is such a wonderful thing.  Not!  Well we recovered, but God has not let that go until I write about it here. 

I feel like I have just been to confession Winking smile 

Anger is a fire according to the Bible.  The first murder recorded in Genesis 4.  "Cain was Furious."  The Hebrew word charah means to burn or kindle.  Cain was angry and that anger was burning.  God saw that anger and warned Cain that "Sin was crouching at the door."  God also said that Cain, "must rule over it."  It seems to me anger is one of those passions that must be ruled over or it will rule over you.  I hope that you have better reaction than I did.

Father God, Teach us to rule over the passion of our emotions.  You created us to have these passions.  In and of themselves they must be good.  You do not create anything evil.  Sin has marred our passions as it has the rest of creation.  Teach us how we might be angry and not sin.  Teach us to rule over that sin crouching at the door.  Quiet our souls when anger rules the day.  Lead us into paths of peacemaking that we might be blessed.  In Jesus Name AMEN

No comments: