Saturday, November 6, 2021

More than words

 Love without Hypocrisy (Romans 12:9) is a trait of true love. If I am honest then I must confess that I have been the hypocrite. I have sinned and missed the mark when it comes to loving without hypocrisy.

Another way to say this is to be sincere in love. So often we make expressions of affection, but if we are honest, we come up short in actions of affection. We say that we care, we will help, we will pray, we will do such and such. However, either though neglect, forgetfulness, or lack of desire we are unable to complete the task. We see this warning in 2 Corinthians 8-9.

In 2 Corinthians 8:1-5 we see Paul praising the impoverished churches in Macedonia for their generosity in giving to others needs. They “begged” for the opportunity to participate in this gift. They did this by first giving themselves to God and then to the ministry of gifts by God’s will.

Paul goes on to challenge the Corinthians in to fulfill the pledge they made to give support to the needs of other Christians. He explains that he is not wanting them to be compelled by his asking, but rather out of love.

2 Corinthians 8:8 CSB

I am not saying this as a command. Rather, by means of the diligence of others, I am testing the genuineness of your love.

So when we make a promise to support others then we show the genuineness of love when we fulfill our vows. I think that none of us can make the claim to perfectly fulfill love in our relationships. However, we cannot use our imperfections to give up on loving well.

We also do well to recognize the law of sowing a reaping. In 2 Corinthians 9:6-9 we learn that the gifts that we give generously or sparingly reap the same. We also learn that God grace overflows and provides for our needs. So that out of our abundance we can “excel in every good work.” The purpose of our abundance then is not to serve ourselves, but rather to give and love well.

This brings me sorrow. I recognize that I can and must do better. How often I have missed the opportunity to love others out of the abundance of God’s graces. I am thankful for God’s “indescribable gift” (2 Corinthians 9:15). With God we have the forgiveness of sin. When we miss the mark God’s grace restores us that we might press on in good works. I am reminded:

Psalm 30:5 CSB

For his anger lasts only a moment, but his favor, a lifetime. Weeping may stay overnight, but there is joy in the morning.

Let us press on, seek forgiveness, and fulfill the vows of love and excel in good works of ministry.

May God Richly Bless You,

~BJ

No comments: