Friday, September 25, 2009

Just a little further

falling down Image by laurenmarek via FlickrI was in prayer a few weeks ago thanking the Lord for the blessings in my life.  I had been fighting with God and not aware of what he was doing in my life.  During this prayer there was a distinct communication of His Spirit to my spirit, "Are you ready to take it to the next level?"  In prayer I answered "Yes Lord." 

God started that week by showing me some things through my counseling clients.  I cannot go into detail because of their confidentiality, but I can say that God was revealing, "here are the hurting people that I want to heal."  Notice not not the people I want "you" to heal, but the people God wants to heal!  I must admit it is a wonderfully rewarding feeling to see someone recover from what life has thrown his/her way, but can I really take credit for that?  Not really. As Christians we are reflections of the light of God.  We are workers in the field of life, but the glory is the Lord's.

"You are the light of the world. A city situated on a hill cannot be hidden. No one lights a lamp and puts it under a basket, but rather on a lampstand, and it gives light for all who are in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father in heaven."
Matthew 5:14-16 (HCSB)

Unreservedly giving yourself to God is this; I choose to let my light shine for myself, no!  I will forgo the praise that men will place on me.  I will work even when no praise is coming my way, for my master.  In the public I will work diligently, with endurance, with greater grace than I can muster within my own spirit, but with graces and mercies that God's Holy Spirit gives me.  To what end you ask?  Not that others might give glory to me (you are such a good person), but rather that they will give glory to my Father in heaven (Praise to God in the highest). 

But then there is the "higher level." 

"For My thoughts are not your thoughts, and your ways are not My ways." This is the Lord's declaration. "For as heaven is higher than earth, so My ways are higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts."
Isaiah 55:8-9 (HCSB)

Giving yourself to God is quite easy and natural when we are basing our decision on His loving-kindness, grace, and mercy.  Ironically we are very comfortable with the sacrifice of our savor, but not with the sacrifice of self.

Other seed fell on rocky ground where it didn't have much soil, and it sprang up right away, since it didn't have deep soil. When the sun came up, it was scorched, and since it didn't have a root, it withered...

...And these are the ones sown on rocky ground: when they hear the word, immediately they receive it with joy. But they have no root in themselves; they are short-lived. When pressure or persecution comes because of the word, they immediately stumble.
Mark 4:5-6; 16-17 (HCSB)

This happened to me over the last couple of weeks.  I will not go into detail, but suffice it to say the pressure and persecution were on.  At one point it was more within than outside.  I recall praying, "Lord I am quite comfortable as your apologist, but this thing You are showing me in Your Word, I have a hard time accepting.   To be honest until yesterday morning I had not yet accepted it!  Now the writer's block comes together (only 5 posts in the last 3 weeks, compared to 15 the three weeks before that).

Let me ask you, Is God showing you something that you have a hard time accepting?  Is it easy to receive the graces of God with great joy, but the trials, temptations, sorrowful moments, the ugliness of life, causes you to stumble?  You can either continue to have a God of the good times while you remain lord of the low times or you can unreservedly give yourself to God.  Will you commit to follow Christ for better or for worse, in sickness and in health.  Will you marry yourself To God's plan and purpose for your life and the Blessings along with the longings.  If you do then that is unreservedly giving yourself to God!

I have decided to follow Jesus;
Though I may wonder, I still will follow;
The world behind me, the cross before me;
Though none go with me, still I will follow;
No turning back, no turning back.

Will you decide now to follow Jesus?
No turning back, no turning back.

God Bless You All

No comments: