Sunday, July 18, 2010

Overcoming

I am still working on a series of posts dealing with anger.  It seems that summer has got the better of me writing.  I hope your summer is going well.  I had a verse come to mind just now about the other day as I was dealing with a stressful situation.  It seemed to me that the devil was working to get me down.  I felt frustrated and hurt.  I wanted to lash out.  Have you ever been in this place?

Do not be conquered by evil, but conquer evil with good.
Romans 12:21 (HCSB)

In my sermon I suggested that evil was looking for a way to destroy our lives individually, our families, our churches, and our nation.  But we (speaking of Christians) have the Holy Spirit of God within our lives to overcome, to conquer evil.  The trick is to overcome with good.  What is good you ask?

Love must be without hypocrisy. Detest evil; cling to what is good. Show family affection to one another with brotherly love. Outdo one another in showing honor. Do not lack diligence; be fervent in spirit; serve the Lord. Rejoice in hope; be patient in affliction; be persistent in prayer. Share with the saints in their needs; pursue hospitality. Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice; weep with those who weep. Be in agreement with one another. Do not be proud; instead, associate with the humble. Do not be wise in your own estimation. Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Try to do what is honorable in everyone’s eyes. If possible, on your part, live at peace with everyone. Friends, do not avenge yourselves; instead, leave room for His wrath. For it is written: Vengeance belongs to Me; I will repay, says the Lord. But If your enemy is hungry, feed him. If he is thirsty, give him something to drink. For in so doing you will be heaping fiery coals on his head.
Romans 12:9-20 (HCSB)

This seems like a good enough list to me.  As always, I've got some work to do. 

God Bless You All!

No comments: