Friday, June 11, 2010

A dream about snakes

This 2005 photograph depicted an �eastern cott...

Image via Wikipedia

I took a few days off to spend some time with the Lord.  A sabbatical if you will from writing.  There is great value in taking some time off to reconnect with God. 

I wanted to share a dream and an interpretation of the dream.  This is a new area for me so if it seems a bit off or is not your cup of tea then that is OK I will be back to the normal posts in the next day or two. 

 

The Dream

I was walking down the street and a man came up to me asking for help.  I told him that he could join me as a walked to my office.  My office seem to be along a busy thoroughfare.  The scene reminded me of a coastal highway that I knew visiting when I was young. 

As we walked along there were these bags that were lying along the way. I noticed that this man had one of these bags that he was carrying with him.  As I entered my office there was a waiting area filled with people waiting for me to see them.  They too had these bags.  I looked down at my side and noticed that I also had a bag.  These bags were undulating.  This got my curiosity.  Just then one of the people in the waiting area (a strange looking fellow) grabbed a bag and emptied the contents into his mouth.   As I was watching him he opened up his mouth and out launched a snake with its venomous fangs readied to sink into me. 

I woke up.

Needless to say my heart rate was going and I laid there terrified for a moment.  I though to myself I would avoid picking up undulating bags for which I do not know the contents.  In fact I would be very cautious if I ever saw such a thing.  Then the though occurred to me what if the dream was symbolic.  What would it mean to me. 

The Interpretation

The snakes very clearly represented sin to me.  So I thought back through the dream with this in mind.  The man I met along the way was having some sort of problem.  He did not tell me what it was, but I do know that he was carrying some sin.  What is more the sin was hidden in a burlap bag.  If I had paid closer attention I would have noticed it moving.  I think that his problem in part or in whole had to do with the fact that he was carrying sin.  When I entered the office I saw that most if not all the people seeking my help were carrying some sin in their bags.  I noticed the bags but not the contents.  That is very interesting to me.  We notice the way that sin is carried without actually knowing the sin it is that they carry.  It seems that I had my own bag as well that I had been carrying without paying attention to it.  The odd man that put the snake in his mouth was some person, some spiritual force, some devil, I am not sure, but it was clear that what ever he or it was it did not have my best interests in mind.  The forceful attack of the snake was quite scary. 

Application

There is none righteous not one (Romans 3:10).  Having a pet sin is like having a pet snake that is venomous.  Most people would never dream of owning a snake, and even less so a venomous one.  And yet I think many people carry a pet sin around without realizing the spiritual danger they are exposing themselves to.  Venomous snakes are only a danger when you stand within striking distance of them.  It seems to me sin is the same way.  I think sometimes we play games with sin thinking we know better or some how we will be able to "be spiritually strong."  However:

If the snake bites before it is charmed, then there is no advantage for the charmer.
Ecclesiastes 10:11 (HCSB)

What is more the Bible has a clear instruction for us when we come up upon sin crouching in the high grass, RUN!

But you, man of God, run from these things, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance, and gentleness.
1 Timothy 6:11 (HCSB)
Therefore, my dear friends, flee from idolatry.
1 Corinthians 10:14 (HCSB)
Run from sexual immorality!
1 Corinthians 6:18 (HCSB)
Flee from youthful passions, and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart.
2 Timothy 2:22 (HCSB)
She grabbed him by his garment and said, "Sleep with me!" But leaving his garment in her hand, he escaped and ran outside.
Genesis 39:12 (HCSB)

It seems to me that we ought to have the same healthy fear of sin that we have of snakes.  There is a danger when we become comfortable with sin and sinfulness.  Lets face it we live in a sinful sensual society.  It is easy to stop seeing snakes and start seeing pets.  When sin becomes a pet then it will never leave us alone. 

May God give you the eyes to see sins that have become pets, wisdom to know when to flee, and the strength to turn and run if needed from these sins. 

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: