Friday, September 10, 2021

Christ’s Love Christ’s Friend

 

This is my command: Love one another as I have loved you. No one has greater love than this: to lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. John 15:12–14

Our love for one another is modeled by Christ.  Jesus paid the ultimate price for us in that he died so that we could have salvation and sanctification of our souls.  This sacrifice is an act of love that establishes each person who puts faith in Christ as Christ’s friend.  Jesus is making this connection that his love leads him to lay his life down.  He then makes the connection that we are to love one another if we are his friend.  Taken to the next step then to love one another in the greatest way possible Jesus, by implication, is saying we ought to lay our lives down for each other. 

When make a sacrifice to others then this is the highest form of love. Sacrifice is hard.  Often our flesh does not want to give up self-centered pursuits.  When we love our selves or when we love the worldly pleasures then we do not have this self-sacrificing love that Jesus is calling us to.  We have a higher calling and ought to be following the example of Christ in this way. 

Let put the challenge to you this way.  Get some time alone to pray to God.  Ask Him, “Lord show me what sacrifices I need to make and how I need to lay my life down in order to love those around me in such a way that it glorifies You and advances Your cause and purpose in my life and in the lives of others.”  Be prepared then to sacrifice self will and selfish pleasures in order to fulfill Christ’s purpose of friendship and love in your life. 

God Bless You

~BJ Olson

No comments: